They were hosted by talk show host Graham Norton and held at London’s Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
The big winner of the night was Broadchurch, with the ITV series picking up a total of 3 BAFTAs for Best Drama, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor. Olivia Coleman is turning into something of a BAFTA specialist as her Best Actress award followed her 2 award triumph last year. As last year the actress seemed very emotional following the win and apologised for crying saying “Sorry, not cool!”
Another show that did well this year was The IT Crowd, which finished its 4-series run last year, picking up both the Best Male and Best Female Comedy Performance awards. Katherine Parkinson, who plays Jen in the series, has also appeared in an episode of Sherlock recently and has picked up something of a geek fanbase. Richard Ayoade, who plays Moss said that he hoped his award would inspire “other nasal men with no facial expression”.
The special award this year went to Cilla Black for her 50-year long show biz career and this year’s Fellowship was awarded to Julie Walters in recognition of her outstanding contribution to tv and movies,
As far as the red carpet is concerned some of the evening’s most notable outfits came from Naomi Campbell, Emily Atack but the biggest surprise was seeing the newly appointed Strictly co-presenter Claudia Winkleman glammed-up in a stylish black and burgundy bodycon dress. Claudia was aptly partnered for the evening by her Strictly co-host Tess Daly, who wore a white dress with a see-through dark sequinned overlay.
Here is a list of the major award winners at this year’s BAFTAs followed by some of tonight’s red carpet fashions:
- Best Actor – Sean Harris for Southcliffe
- Best Actress – Olivia Coleman for Broadchurch
- Best Supporting Actor – David Bradley for Broadchurch
- Best Supporting Actress – Sarah Lancashire for Last Tango In Halifax
- Best Male Comedy Performance – Richard Ayoade for The IT Crowd
- Best Female Comedy Performance – Katherine Parkinson for The IT Crowd
- Best Entertainment Performance – Ant and Dec for Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
- Best Single Drama – Complicit
- Best Mini-Series – In The Flesh
- Best Drama Series – Broadchurch
- Best Soap – Coronation Street
- Best Comedy Programme – A League Of Their Own
- Best Situation Comedy – Him and Her: The Wedding
- Radio Times Audience Award – Doctor Who: Day Of The Doctor
- Best International Programme – Breaking Bad
- Special Award – Cilla Black
- Academy Fellowship – Julie Walters