Olivier Awards 2014, Winners and Red Carpet Fashions – tonight saw the 2014 Laurence Olivier Awards being held at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
This year’s awards were co-hosted by Stephen Mangan and Gemma Arterton with the red carpet arrivals even having their own star to host the event in the lovely form of musician and presenter Myleene Klass.
Apart from Gemma Arterton and Myleene Klass other eye-catching outfits at tonight’s award ceremony came from Zrinka Cvitesic, Samantha Barks and Lizzie Cundy.
34-year old Croatian actress Zrinka Cvitesic is not that well-known at the moment but if her stunning look tonight in a long white fitted gown with lots of see-through sections is anything to go by we are guessing that we will all be seeing a lot more of her in the future. She is really only known here in the UK for her performance in the West End musical Once, for which she won a West End Frame Award for the best West End debut last year. Back home in Croatia she actually won the first series of Ples sa zvijezdama, the Croatian version of Strictly Come Dancing. Looking at her Olivier award outfit can we suggest the UK Strictly team get her on the phone to book for the next series. Incidentally as well as looking stunning tonight Zrinka also took home the award for Best Actress in a Musical for her part in Once.
Other red carpet sightings tonight included the brilliant Dame Judy Dench, Anna Chancellor, Lesley Garrett, Natalie Gumede, Alexandra Burke, Ruth Wilson, Diana Vickers and Barbara Windsor.
As far as the Olivier Awards themselves went the main winners were Rory Kinnear who took home the Best Actor award for his role in Othello at the National and Lesley Manville who won Best Actress for Ghosts at the Almeida Theatre and Trafalgar Studios.
Chimerica took home the American Airlines Award for Best New Play and the award for Best New Comedy was won by the Duke of York’s production of Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense.
Here is a list of the main winners at tonight’s 2014 Olivier Awards:
- Best Actor – Rory Kinnear for Othello at the National Theatre
- Best Actress – Lesley Manville for Ghosts at the Almeida Theatre and Trafalgar Studios
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Jack Lowden for Ghosts at the Almeida Theatre and Trafalgar Studios
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Sharon D Clarke for The Amen Corner at the National Theatre
- American Airlines Best New Play – Chimerica at the Almeida Theatre and Harold Pinter Theatre
- Best New Comedy – Jeeves and Wooster In Perfect Nonsense at the Duke of York’s Theatre
- Best Director – Lyndsey Turner for Chimerica at the Almeida Theatre and Harold Pinter Theatre
- Best Actor in a Musical – Gavin Creel for The Book Of Mormon at the Prince of Wales Theatre
- Best Actress in a Musical – Zrinka Cvitesic for Once at the Phoenix Theatre
- Special Award – impresario Michael White
- Special Award – The National Theatre’s Sir Nicholas Hytner and Nick Starr