Grammy Winners and Fashions – last night saw the premier American awards show for the music industry and there were a few surprises both among the winners and in the choice of outfits from some of the attendees.
Opening up the evening Beyonce put on a good show with husband Jay Z but her sexually charged performance was deemed unsuitable by many parents as the show aired live at 8pm in the US. Beyonce’s partly see-through thong bodysuit was a little too much or maybe a little too little for early evening viewing for some.
As far as the Grammys themselves went the night’s biggest winners were French dance duo Daft Punk who took home 4 awards Album of the Year and Dance/Electronica Album of the Year for Random Access Memories as well as Record of the Year and Pop Duo/Group Performance of the Year for last year’s big hit Get Lucky.
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis also had a great night winning New Artist, Rap Performance and Rap Song awards for Thrift Shop as well as Best Rap Album for The Heist.
Showing that he has much more staying power than he has been given credit for Justin Timberlake picked up 3 awards whilst the biggest winning newcomer was 17-year old New Zealand artist Lorde who won both Song of the Year and Pop Solo Performance for her song Royals.
2 acts that were expected to have a good night but ended up walking away empty-handed were Taylor Swift, who at least won some fashion credits for her striking chain mail style evening gown, and the Thin White Duke himself, David Bowie.
One of the fashion wins of the night came from Katy Perry who wore a very on-theme Valentino dress that was decorated with musical notes. The dress had only just been unveiled to the world at a Paris couture event 4 days earlier. Other Grammy outfits also came direct from Paris this year with Rita Ora wearing an Alexandre Vauthier number and Rihanna wearing a daring open fronted yellow outfit from the designer’s same 2014 Spring collection.
One post Grammys party look that got lots of attention came from Australian model Nicole Trufio who looked for all the world like a young Angelina Jolie as she partied with Grammy-winning boyfriend Gary Clark Jr. She wore a completely see-through black netted dress that showed her black bra and knickers and like any respectable supermodel looked completely at ease in the glare of the cameras.
Major winners at 2014 Grammy Awards
- Album of the Year – Random Access Memories by Daft Punk
- Record of the Year – Get Lucky by Daft Punk with Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers
- Song of the Year – Royals by LordeNew Artist – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- Pop Solo Performance – Royals by Lorde
- Pop Vocal Album – Unorthodox Jukebox by Bruno Mars
- Pop Duo Group Performance – Get Lucky by Daft Punk with Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers
- Traditional Pop Vocal Album – To Be Loved by Michael Buble
- Rap Album – The Heist by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- R&B Album – Girl On Fire by Alicia Keys
- Urban Contemporary Album – Unapologetic by Rihanna
- Rock Album – Celebration Day by Led Zeppelin
- Country Album – Same Trailer Different Park by Kacey Musgraves