The awards are the tv equivalent of the Oscars for the movie industry, the Tony awards for the theatre industry or the Grammys for the music industry.
Tonights awards were the 65th and were held as always in LA, this year’s venue being the Nokia Theatre in Downtown LA.
The big winners last night as far as the shows themselves go were Breaking Bad, which won the Best Drama Series award ahead of UK hope Downton Abbey, and Modern Family, which won the hotly contested Best Comedy Series award which many people had thought would go to The Big Bang Theory.
As far as the Outstanding Miniseries or Movie category goes the award went, just as expected by most observers, to the Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra. NBC’s The Voice took the award for the Outstanding Reality or Competition programme.
Before all the prizes were dished out though there was the matter of a top-notch red carpet showing to see and here are some of the main highlights as far as the Primetime Emmy fashions go.
Lena Headey from Game of Thrones surprised many people when she took to the red carpet wearing a sexy partly see-through black lace dress which not only showed off lots of cleavage but also her legs and most of what little underwear she had on.
As you would expect on the night of the US television industry’s top awards Sofia Vergara looked well up to scratch in a typically form-fitting red gown from Vera Wang that did a great job of showing off those famous Latino curves and that famous cleavage.
In fact Giuliana Rancic from E! said to the Colombian actress ‘Your dress has the hardest job on this red carpet keeping all that sexiness under control!’
Some 24 years younger than Sofia but also getting plenty of red carpet attention was Kim Basinger’s daughter Ireland Baldwin who was at the Emmys with her father Alec, who had been nominated for the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for his role in 30 Rock. In the end Alec lost out to Jim Parsons who plays Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory but neither he nor daughter Ireland looked too disappointed.
Just like Sofia Vergara Christina Hendricks from Mad Men gets plenty of attention for her all-woman figure. She wore a classy black gown that clung in all the right places.
The big fashion news from the UK contingent came from Downton Abbey’s Michelle Dockery who wore a scarlet and burgundy two-tone Prada gown. The gown was completely backless but did have a bow and despite getting lots of attention opinion was divided as to whether the outfit was a hit or a miss.
Here are some of the night’s big award winners:
- Outstanding Drama Series – Breaking Bad
- Outstanding Comedy Series – Modern Family
- Outstanding Reality or Competition Programme – The Voice
- Outstanding Miniseries or Movie – Behind the Candelabra
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series – Claire Danes, Homeland
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series – Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series – Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie – Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie – Laura Linney, The Big C: Hereafter