She took home the awards for Best Album and Best R&B/Soul Act as well as winning in the hotly contested Best Female category.
Emeli started off the night by singing her single My Kind Of Love which she had previously performed live on The Voice. This was her 4th single from the album Our Version Of Events and got to Number 17 in the UK charts.
It was no real surprise that Emeli’s album Our Version Of Events took the Best Album award as it is currently the best-selling album of 2012 regardless of genre. It is her Best Female Award that caused the biggest upset of the night as it was thought that the winner was likely to be either Tulisa or Jessie J.
Other winners on the night included Plan B who won the awards for both Best Male and Best Hip-Hop/Grime Artist.
Nicki Minaj won the Best International Award, a day after she narrowly avoided a wardrobe malfunction on the Alan Carr’s Chatty Man tv show. The 29-year old US rapper wore a Halloween styled bra which was struggling to contain her large breasts. It is not the first time that she has threatened to escape from her top on a tv chat show as she caused a bit of a stir on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno when she wore a gold corset that was not up to the job.
Here is the full list of winners:
- BEST FEMALE – Emeli Sande
- BEST MALE – Plan B
- BEST NEWCOMER – Rita Ora
- BEST R&B/SOUL ACT – Emeli Sande
- BEST HIP-HOP/GRIME ACT – Plan B
- BEST VIDEO – JLS – Do You Feel What I Feel
- BEST SONG – Labrinth Ft Tinie Tempah – Earthquake
- BEST ALBUM – Emeli Sande – Our Version Of Events
- BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT – Nicki Minaj
- BEST REGGAE ACT – Sean Paul
- BEST JAZZ ACT – Zoe Rahman
- BEST AFRICAN ACT – D’Banj
- BEST GOSPEL ACT – Rachel Kerr
- OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO MUSIC – TLC
- LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD – Dionne Warwick