One Direction won the awards for Best New Artist, Best Pop Video and Most Share-Worthy Video.
The Awards were held at the Staples Center in LA and not surprisingly all the One Direction boys, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson were there at the event to accept their awards.
Although they were easily the night’s biggest winners the top award, Video of the Year, went to Rihanna for We Found Love, her collaboration with Calvin Harris. Calvin, who comes from Scotland, also won an award of his own for Best Electronic Dance Music Video for Feels So Close, which he performed for the Staples Center audience.
One Direction also performed for the MTV VMA crowd with a version of their latest single One Thing.
The band’s ladies man, Harry Styles, also picked up a kiss on the lips from Katy Perry as did bandmate Niall Horan, who was quick to mention the encounter on Twitter as well as uploading a photo of him and Katy in full lip-lock.
There was more UK success on the evening as Coldplay won the award for Best Rock Video for Paradise. Unfortunately Chris Martin and the boys weren’t able to be at the awards as they were performing in concert in The Netherlands.
Rita Ora turned some heads during the evening with the singer wearing 3 outfits including the daring gold lace see-through number she wore at the after-show party held at Chateau Marmont.
Another fashion highlight was Miley Cyrus who re-invented herself yet again, appearing in a plunge fronted black dress. She matched the stylish dress with another new hairstyle, putting lots of volume into her new pixie cut and emerging with a somewhat strange goth look.
The full list of winners at the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards is:
- Video of the Year: Rihanna, “We Found Love”
- Best New Artist: One Direction
- Best Female Video: Nicki Minaj, “Starships”
- Best Male Video: Chris Brown, “Turn Up The Music”
- Video With a Message: Demi Lovato, “Skyscraper”
- Best Hip-Hop Video: Drake feat. Lil Wayne, “HYFR”
- Best Rock Video: Coldplay, “Paradise”
- Best Pop Video: One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best Electronic Dance Music Video: Calvin Harris, “Feel So Close”
- Most Share-Worthy Video: One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best Choreography: Chris Brown, “Turn Up the Music”
- Best Editing: Beyonce, “Countdown”
- Best Visual Effects: Skrillex, “First of the Year (Equinox)”
- Best Cinematography: M.I.A., “Bad Girls”
- Best Art Direction: Katy Perry, “Wide Awake”
- Best Direction: M.I.A., “Bad Girls”
The Video Music Awards can be seen in the UK on MTV tonight at 9pm with the show repeated again over the next few days.