Fish oil – this one has been bubbling around the top trenders for a while now and has been in the top 10 for the last couple of days. We wondered why until we saw the amount of research going on to do with the beneficial effects of taking a fish oil supplement. In the last few weeks research has been published showing:
- Fish oil eases the pain of osteoarthiritis and increases the mobility of sufferers (Australian study)
- Fish oil slows down the growth of prostate cancer cells (University of California study)
- Fish oil reduces mental fatigue in young adults and may help prevent dementia in later life (Northumbria University study)
- Fish oil helps reduce anxiety (Ohio State University Center for Clinical and Translational Science study)
All of the above claims are the result of recently published medical research. So what is fish oil and where does it come from?
Omega 3 fish oil comes from the liver and/or other tissues of certain fishes of which the most common ones are tuna, salmon, bluefish, trout, etc. And this oil thus obtained contains a type of fatty acid known as Omega 3 eicosapentaenoic (EPA).
As well as all the recent research claims above other studies have shown benefits to blood pressure, heart and depression sufferers from taking fish oil supplements.
The show raised a record on-the-night total of £26,332,334, which is £8m more than was raised in 2010.
The show was hosted as usual by Sir Terry Wogan and he was joined this year by glamorous co-hosts Tess Daly, Alesha Dixon and Fearne Cotton who were all dressed in gold to look like Charlie’s Angels. The show featured a huge number of performers including:
- Susan Boyle,
- One Direction
- Gok Wan
- The Saturdays
- 4 Female newsreaders performing a Strictly Come Dancing special
Special mention to be made of the One Show’s Matt Baker who raised £1,263,272.93 by riding a rickshaw over 500 miles round the country.
Signing off at the end of the telethon, Sir Terry said: “That is the greatest single total we have ever made in one night, so thank you.